A little background before I unveil the befores and afters – I no longer live in St. Louis. One random day that pesky straw appeared – you know, the one that broke the camel’s back – and I couldn’t take my job anymore. I struggled with my decision for a couple of hours, and then I went to my boss and told her that was going to be my last day. She didn’t try to convince me to stay (which encouraged me to go even more), and just like that – BOOM, unemployed. But at least I had a chance at remaining however sane I was at that point.
After a few months of desultorily looking for jobs in St. Louis, I decided to radically change my life. I put my house up for rent, sold most of my possessions, and boomeranged back to Mom and Dad’s house! My plan is to stay for a while and then buy a tiny house to put in my brother’s backyard. I have found a wonderful job with less-crazy people, so I’m paying off some bills and making big plans.
And this has to do with a jewelry box makeover . . . how? Since I made the decision to pare down and eventually go tiny, I have to remind myself not to buy makeover candidates at thrift stores. One of the hardest parts of selling most of my belongings wasn’t parting with items I loved, it was saying goodbye to the basement full of future projects I’d never gotten around to. It was really humbling to see all the great ideas I’d once had walk out the door with someone who might turn my great idea into a great finished project.
SO! I’ve been avoiding “befores” at the thrift store, but I could not pass this one up. I hope you’ll see why….
It’s not particularly well-made or anything, I just really loved the simple lines of it and I knew I could give it a new life. I had a stash of paper hexagons I had punched from some particularly awesome scrapbook paper (I couldn’t let them go in the moving sale!), so I chose a paint color and went to town!
I couldn’t find the exact drawer pulls I had in mind, so I followed Melissa’s lead over at Polka Dot Chair and headed straight to the button section at Joann. These little crystal-looking flowers were just the thing! I wanted to make sure they didn’t flop around on the front of the drawers, though, so I picked up some semi-rigid tubing at Lowe’s and made little sleeves for the buttons to sit in. Then I fed a wire through the drawer front and secured it inside.
I’m really happy with the way this project turned out. If it makes you happy, too, go on over to my etsy shop and buy it! Thanks for stopping by!
I linked this project up at: